[mythtv-users] HowTo tune MySQL for schedule time and in general?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon May 6 15:59:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> I've been following this thread (even though I don't have any tuners with
> multiplexes and probably never will). I read your description of how the
> scheduler works and it prompted me to think about another possible scheduler
> strategy.
> but is this even possible?

Anything is possible.  There has been a lot of work (starting in
at least the 70's, when I started reading the literature) regarding
optimal scheduling strategies.  The bottom line is that it is hard,
and whenever there are limits, someone (some program) will
be a loser.  The existing MythTV scheduler does a very good
job for most people, although, as always, there are edge cases.
One could always review the extensive theory available regarding
scheduling, run simulations based on a large sample of recording
rules, and determine which scheduler works best.

One time in the long past (0.1<mumble> days) I considered
that there should be an option to disable the existing scheduler,
and instead generate an event that would allow users to
run their own scheduler.  Then I remembered my scheduling
theory, and decided I had had enough scheduler coding (I did
actually write one for a mainframe OS).  The MythTV scheduler
is good enough for most cases.  And the edge cases are
usually when people either tweak the settings without
completely understanding the implications, or when they
simply do not have enough tuners to ever work well.  In my
case, I just added another PVR-x50 tuner.

When asked, I always recommend (when possible) having more
physical tuners than one thinks one needs to avoid scheduling
disappointments, or expect to have to review, and perhaps
tweak, the results on a regular (perhaps even daily) basis.  That
is true whether you own a TiVo, a cableco STB, or a MythTV
box.

Gary