[mythtv-users] Problem Playing 720p 60fps recordings

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 21 14:43:01 UTC 2013

I have one backend/frontend combo, another dedicated frontend, and my
general purpose desktop computer which also has the frontend installed.

My problem is that on the desktop computer only, if I play a recording
that came from a channel that broadcasts at 720p 60fps, the video plays
in slow motion and the audio cuts in and out. The audio is probably just
trying to stay in sync with the slow motion video. I appears that it may
be playing the video at 30 fps instead of 60 fps.

Programs recorded at 1080i 30fps play perfectly.

The 720p 60fps recordings play perfectly on the other two frontends.

This happens on mythtv 0.25 and 0.26.

All the systems are running Ubuntu 12.04 and mythtv 0.26.

The backend/frontend is the slowest CPU, 32bit pentium single core hyper
threading about 7 years old.
The dedicated frontend has a dual core pentium 64 bit cpu about 5 times
as fast as the backend/frontend.
The desktop has Intel i7 quad core with hyper threading, twice as fast
as the dedicated frontend.

The desktop does not have an NVIDIA adapter and is not set to use VDPAU.
The other two have nvidia and VDPAU set. The desktop has ATI Radeon HD
4350. I used to have an ATI display adapter on the combo
frontend/backend and I never noticed this issue there.

The 720fps mpg files play perfectly on the desktop machine with VLC and
the Ubuntu movie player program, just not with Mythtv front end.

I have tried all the playback profiles, with no different results. I
tried adjusting the time stretch in the playback but that was not the
cause and I could not get it working correctly by changing that.

I suspect there may be some software I have installed on the desktop
that is affecting this playback, but I don't know what it could be.

Any ideas?

Peter