[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase returns incomplete schedule data

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 16 16:38:04 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 03:24 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/16/2013 03:19, Raymond Boettcher wrote:
>> Blocks of data after the missing time seem to populate correctly. So I
>> think it just fails to download a specific block of guide data once in a
>> while. You would think mythfilldatabase would retry that block during
>> the next scheduled run but never does. I think it automatically flags
>> that time range as already downloaded and fails to try again.
>
> You should be having mythfilldatabase run with the parameter
> '--dd-grab-all', so that there are no "specific blocks" of data, but
> rather you download the entire thing all at once, and refresh all
> fourteen days of data on each run.

Exactly.  The problem is that you're running mythfilldatabase at a "less
than ideal" time, and--due to the number of channels you have and the
number of programs on them--mythfilldatabase is saying, "Well, I got
sufficient listings data for that last data that I shouldn't waste
resources by re-grabbing it until I need to (until that day is
"tomorrow")."  So, you end up with holes in your data.

To fix this:  a) make sure you let Schedules Direct tell you when to run
mythfilldatabase by enabling the mythtv-setup setting, "Run
mythfilldatabase at time suggested by the grabber." and b) run
mythfilldatabase with --dd-grab-all (assuming your backend and MySQL
server host(s) are sufficiently powerful so that you always get all of
the most-current listings data available and use fewer server resources
than you do with a default mythfilldatabase run.

See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426
and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/449416#449416