[mythtv-users] hdhr3-us h.264

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 21:15:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Why would you choose mpeg2 over h.264?
>>
>> These days, for new service roll-outs, as Karl pointed out,
>> there is no compelling reason to do so.  However, legacy
>> issues (equipment or standards) may require MPEG-2
>> (The US ATSC transmission standard, for example,
>> specifies MPEG-2).
>

> Not according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsc#H.264.2FMPEG-4_AVC

That is why I said the US ATSC standard, codified by the FCC,
which only specifies MPEG-2/AC3/8VSB and not any ATSC
A/72 additions (H.264), at least not yet.

As I recall the FCC is reviewing digital tv standards, and I would
not be surprised to see rule making to allow the introduction of
alternative streams in H.264 as long the majority of existing
content continues to be in MPEG-2 (i.e. new services could use
H.264, but since no one is going to force another "digital
transition", and many existing TV's only do MPEG-2, I expect
the FCC to require broadcasters to continue to use MPEG-2 for
existing content for the foreseeable future; note: my FCC crystal
ball is often wrong).

Gary