[mythtv-users] hdhr3-us h.264

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Fri Jan 11 05:26:30 UTC 2013

>         These days, for new service roll-outs, as Karl pointed out,
>         there is no compelling reason to do so.  However, legacy
>         issues (equipment or standards) may require MPEG-2
>         (The US ATSC transmission standard, for example,
>         specifies MPEG-2).
>
> Not according to this
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsc#H.264.2FMPEG-4_AVC

Yea, they allow it now.  In an update ratified in 2008.  Care to guess
when/if most sets being sold support it, better guess how many sets are
in the field with only mpeg2 hardware?  Now consider that over the air
viewers aren't the most likely to chase the upgrade treadmill.  Now you
can make an educated guess when the first US broadcaster will feel brave
enough to send out an h.264 stream and withstand the meltdown of their
switchboard from irate viewers.  And now you know the difference between
standards on paper and defacto standards in deployment.

Someday we will see secondary programs sent out in h.264 to cram a few
more in, still wouldn't put a lot of money on it happening this decade
though.