[mythtv-users] Can I use a Ceton InfiniTV device on a Windows 7 box?

Frank Feuerbacher fbacher at brisbin.net
Mon Jan 7 21:37:11 UTC 2013

On 1/7/2013 2:51 PM, Kris Jensen wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Frank Feuerbacher
> <fbacher at brisbin.net <mailto:fbacher at brisbin.net>> wrote:
>
>     I have been experimenting with an InfiniTV PCI-e board with
>     NextPVR (using SageDCT and NextPVR's NetworkRecorder). I have just
>     set up XBMC (Frodo-RC2) on my new Ubuntu 12.10 box. I would like
>     to try out MythTV. Since my InfiniTV is in semi-production mode I
>     would like to keep the disruption to a minimum by using some
>     combination of MythTV's NetworkRecorder, the Ceton Network Tuner
>     or Bridging of the Ceton network interface. It looks like this is
>     possible to do, but it also seems that MythTV has a reputation for
>     being a bit difficult to configure. I am no computer wimp, but I
>     admit the fight can all be a tad tiring after a while.
>
>     Is this a rational thing to do? Are there any suggestions or
>     guidance other than the wiki page for the InfiniTV
>     (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4)? I'm planning on
>     using the latest MythTV and praying that it will integrate with
>     XBMC (eventually, if not immediately).
>
>     Also, any general feedback on using the InfiniTV with MythTV
>     locally, or otherwise would be useful. My experience with NextPVR
>     is that it works fairly well as long as you don't watch live TV or
>     change channels (which generally works for me). The (1080-i mpeg2)
>     .ts files produced using my cable operator tend to be noisy,
>     preventing playback by VLC and requiring processing with ts4np.exe
>     and/or Project-X before Avidemux or VLC will work with them.
>
>     Thanx
>

> Yes bridging works well. I have two Ceton cards. One card set local
> only and one in bridged mode that I use with testing on WinOS DVR apps
> over the network. It took me a month or two of reading and trial and
> error before my MythTV system was stable enough to be called
> functional. And it has remained this way for the passed 10+ months. I
> had fun learning every step of the way.
>

> The only tips that I think that would help are:
>
> You NEED your signal strength a SNR at acceptable levels to avoid
> recording and live TV errors. All thought MythTV handles signal errors
> very well.

Yes, I originally had terrible S/N but the cable dudes added an
amplifier and it improved quite a bit. Still, since Noise was also
amplified, there may still be an issue there.

> When bridging the Ceton card you need to slow down and or rearrange
> the boot process a bit to allow the card to obtain an IP address
> before MythTVbackend starts.

I think you are implying that even if I assign a static IP to the Ceton,
that MytTV may be cranky about not having the card up and ready when the
back-end starts.

I expect, but don't look forward to another month of headaches. I have
already invested 1.5 months (including days off at Christmas) in
NextPVR, HandBrake, Avidemux, Ubuntu, XBMC, new hardware, Project-X and
ts4np. I suppose I should consider myself lucky, if my wife doesn't kill
me first. She is tired of the instability.