[mythtv-users] Can I use a Ceton InfiniTV device on a Windows 7 box?

Kris Jensen kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 20:51:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Frank Feuerbacher <fbacher at brisbin.net>wrote:

> I have been experimenting with an InfiniTV PCI-e board with NextPVR (using
> SageDCT and NextPVR's NetworkRecorder). I have just set up XBMC (Frodo-RC2)
> on my new Ubuntu 12.10 box. I would like to try out MythTV. Since my
> InfiniTV is in semi-production mode I would like to keep the disruption to
> a minimum by using some combination of MythTV's NetworkRecorder, the Ceton
> Network Tuner or Bridging of the Ceton network interface. It looks like
> this is possible to do, but it also seems that MythTV has a reputation for
> being a bit difficult to configure. I am no computer wimp, but I admit the
> fight can all be a tad tiring after a while.
>
> Is this a rational thing to do? Are there any suggestions or guidance
> other than the wiki page for the InfiniTV (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**
> Ceton_InfiniTV_4 <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4>)? I'm
> planning on using the latest MythTV and praying that it will integrate with
> XBMC (eventually, if not immediately).
>
> Also, any general feedback on using the InfiniTV with MythTV locally, or
> otherwise would be useful. My experience with NextPVR is that it works
> fairly well as long as you don't watch live TV or change channels (which
> generally works for me). The (1080-i mpeg2) .ts files produced using my
> cable operator tend to be noisy, preventing playback by VLC and requiring
> processing with ts4np.exe and/or Project-X before Avidemux or VLC will work
> with them.
>
> Thanx

Yes bridging works well. I have two Ceton cards. One card set local only
and one in bridged mode that I use with testing on WinOS DVR apps over the
network. It took me a month or two of reading and trial and error before my
MythTV system was stable enough to be called functional. And it has
remained this way for the passed 10+ months. I had fun learning every step
of the way.

 The only tips that I think that would help are:

You NEED your signal strength a SNR at acceptable levels to avoid recording
and live TV errors. All thought MythTV handles signal errors very well.

When bridging the Ceton card you need to slow down and or rearrange the
boot process a bit to allow the card to obtain an IP address before
MythTVbackend starts.

 Hope that’s helpful.