[mythtv-users] Terrible live TV experience with HD-PVR

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:52:02 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Jonathan <jonathan.625266 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> On .26 fixes, as long as a channel change is not across sources, things seem to work well for me. But attempting to change directly from a non-HDPVR channel to a HDPVR always results in a frontend hang.  My workaround is to switch to the HDPVR source before changing channels. As you might expect, non tech-savy family members will probably struggle with this one.
>>
>> This is exactly my experience.  I can change from one HD-PVR channel
>> to another HD-PVR channel, but when I change from my DVB channel to
>> HD-PVR channel the frontend ALWAYs hangs.  It plays for about 5
>> seconds then hangs.  The HD-PVR appears to still be providing a
>> signal.  I will see if I can gather more info.
>
> What type of DVB device is it?  Is it USB?  Could there possibly be an
> issue with availability of bandwidth if both the HD-PVR and the USB
> device were coming out of the same hub?

It is an airstar PCI device that has worked fine with the HD-PVR in
previous versions (.22-fixes) of MythTV.  This appears to me to be a
functional or race condition issue in .26-fixes.  Perhaps a frontend
issue with VDPAU and switching.  I really haven't investigated very
much yet, other than the previous poster seemed to describe the exact
same symptoms that I am seeing.

Ron