[mythtv-users] Terrible live TV experience with HD-PVR

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 18:13:21 UTC 2013

OK - I did some experimenting.

Scenario 1:
I watch LiveTV on 10.1 (QAM-256 dvb card).  I use the menu to change
sources to the HD-PVR.  This causes the channel change script to
change the channel to 798 (the channel previously watched on the
HD-PVR) on my Comacast Box. and switch to the HD-PVR.  What I see is
the HD-PVR plays for a few seconds, there is a brief (less than a
second) blip in the playback, then continues playing with out issues.

I can do this over and over without issues.

Scenario 2:
I watch LiveTV on 10.1 (QAM-256 dvb card).  I use the guide to change
to channel 798, an HD-PVR channel.  This causes the channel change
script to change the channel to 798 on my Comacast Box. and switch to
the HD-PVR.  What I see is the HD-PVR plays for a few seconds, then
the frontend hangs - every single time.

There is something different about how the channel changes are handled
between the two scenarios above.   Functionaly they are doing the same
thing.  One works, one doesn't.

Ron