[mythtv-users] Turning TV (or receiver) on kills HD-PVR recording

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Feb 14 20:13:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Brian Long <briandlong [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Bob Sully <rcs [at] malibyte> wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>> I've noticed an odd problem with my HD-PVR for a while.
>>
>> If there's a recording in progress, and I turn on the TV (which also
>> turns on the A/V receiver which feeds the TV via HDMI), the recording
>> pauses for about ten seconds, which basically renders it unwatchable,
>> even though the HD-PVR starts recording again after the pause.
>>
>> Anyone else seen this (and have a fix)?
>>
>> Ubuntu 12.04
>> Myth 0.25.1-fixes
>> HD-PVR (latest firmware)
>> Motorola cable box feeding HD-PVR
>> Sony STR-DG1200 receiver
>> Sharp Aquos TV
>>

> Do you have the same cable STB plugged directly into the TV? The STB
> should be dedicated to the HD-PVR and should not be connected to any other
> output devices.
>
> If you want to be able to record with the HD-PVR and watch Cable live
> bypassing MythTV, you should really have two STBs.
>
> /Brian/
>

> Glad someone else asked this since I've been stewing on it for months. I
> think Brian has it figured out. If the STB, in my case DTV, is plugged
> into the TV or receiver using HDMI then my theory is the device somehow
> notifies the STB when turning off and the STB glitches while evaluating
> DRM or something.... The HDPVR recovers but leaves the recording with
what > I would call a "period of ugliness" that commskip cannot get past
and
> usually dies. Plus when I hit this region during playback sound gets out
> of sync and I have to exit return to correct.
>
> I keep planning to unplug the hdmi but my wife does like to watch DTV
> directly, especially with Myth liveTV being a work in progress (sort of).
>
> Questions (assuming you can get past the use requirement that someone
> would like to use their STB for two purposes and not pay 10+ month to
get > around this one issue):

> Maybe I should just split the rgb / spdif output somehow instead and not
> use hdmi? Or is there a cable that would block, or not support at all,
> this "reverse" signal?
> Is this what "reverse sensing" is all about?
> Maybe a HDFury would mask it? Been thinking about getting one of those for
> when D-Day comes anyhow.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Sorry it took me a while to get back here - been really busy.

Unfortunately, I think Brian is probably correct, but it's highly
impractical (space-wise and financially) for me to get yet another cable
box.  I am also wondering, as Eric is, whether there's something else that
can be done to deal with it.  I use the HD-PVR a LOT and the inability to
turn the TV on or off during a recording is a major PITA.

I also just picked up an HDHR Prime, as Time Warner Cable has recently
made my regular HDHR into an expensive paperweight. So far I have been
able to record some channels but not all that I pay for (not including
HBO, etc. as I know I need to use the HD-PVR for those)...it's a start.  I
have a Winblows system on my network...maybe I can get TWC to activate it
through that machine.

Thanks -- Bob