[mythtv-users] MythBuntu Mythcommflag closed

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:21:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Kenneth Emerson
<kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before I upgraded the firmware on the HDHR-PRIME, it was 100% failure.  Now
> it is about 50% failure.  I've been considering trying Silicon Dust's beta
> firmware, but as of yet, have not.  I've read on the list that at least one
> person has had poor results with it (and didn't know how to go backwards in
> firmware updates).

Somewhere around the November beta code drop some set
of people reported numerous issues regarding quality.  I seem
to remember that later betas addressed the issue(s), or at least
most of the issue(s), but I presume it all depends on your specific
use case.

For simple values, you cannot go back with the HDHR-Prime
firmwares (once you are on the beta train, you can't get off
until the next formal release.  The CableLabs reasoning goes
something like this: Sometimes the fixes are to fix/improve (!?)
the DRM, and if you could go backwards, you might be able
use the broken implementation to access content you are
not allowed to access.  That that SiliconDust releases mostly
have nothing to do with the DRM part of the codes is
completely irrelevant to the requirements of moving forward
only).  The usual recommendation with the HDHR-Prime is
to only get on the beta train if you have a requirement for
some feature, or a particular bug fix, and accept that the
ride may be a bit interesting from time to time (sort of like
running MythTV Master from git).

Gary