[mythtv-users] Recommendation for a Cheap Frontend.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Feb 1 18:03:25 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 12:11 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 13-02-01 12:06 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> I find mythfrontend falls down considerably at everything else including
>> DVD watching, network stream/service (i.e. Youtube and other online
>> video streaming), etc., and other information services such as weather.
> I should add to that, that I presume systems like XBMC have a bigger
> critical mass of developers, so it's only fair that overall, it's comes
> off as better.
>
> But I guess my point all along has always not been so much critical of
> mythfrontend but rather asking, why not take advantage of that critical
> mass and make it's myth playing abilities superb so the overall solution
> is better?

Agreed.  I use my XBox 360 for Netflix and Amazon Instant Prime and DVD
playback.  I use a PS3 for Blu-Ray and DVD playback.  I use a real
computer (instead of a TV and remote) or a phone to check the weather or
other information services.

But then again, I said, "mythfrontend is /the/ best frontend to use
*with MythTV*," (emphasis added).  None of the activities you've
described are (or, IMHO, should be) MythTV activities.  MythTV can't do
anything about most online video streaming services (such as Netflix)
because of their DRM.  While you could make Amazon Instant Prime "work"
in/with MythTV, it would do so using Adobe's proprietary Flash that
Adobe doesn't even care to support, anymore, let alone care to support
on GNU/Linux, so you /shouldn't/ use it in/with MythTV when there are a
plethora of better solutions (such as game consoles, Roku boxes (some of
which are sticks that just plug directly into the HDMI port of your TV,
so are completely invisible), ...).  And, as for information services,
nearly everyone has a phone in their pocket (and wifi in their house)
that's easier/more accessible than turning on the TV just to check the
weather, or a computer that's better for reading real information (like
RSS feeds of articles, etc.).

Anyway, when I say, "with MythTV," I mean with MythTV--not with plugins
(most of which are OBE with changes to technology over the years).
About the only one I see as having any real future is music
playback--though I see it as being more useful if we were to get it
fully integrated as part of MythTV (and not a separate plugin).
MythGallery could have that "once in a blue moon" use (but, with the
ubiquity of tablets, even that's likely better done some other way).
That said, I'm not against anyone using or developing those plugins--I
just think there are better solutions to the problems they're trying to
solve available in today's world (i.e. it's not 2002, anymore :).

Mike