[mythtv-users] WAF through the floor, with lost database!

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 31 05:31:16 UTC 2013

Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> On 31 Dec 2013, at 11:04 am, "Paul Gardiner" <lists at glidos.net>
>wrote:

>>> Did you put your database backups on a data drive??? (!)
>>

>> I did, but that wasn't the problem. Somehow mythconverg_backup
>generated a less than 1k file containing just a few headers, with no
>actual data, and I noticed only when I came to restore. :-(
>I've been thinking a little about this recently, particularly after
>John's recent posts on MythArchive.
>
>But I guess first thing is to work out just what data you have
>available. Any backups lodged elsewhere that you have forgotten about
>(do a global search on mythconverg* depending on your backup file
>naming convention)? Is there any data in your current backup or is it
>dead flat completely empty?
>
>On the second system running mythfilldatabase if you login to MySQL and
>do a
>'Select chanid,starttime,title from mythconverg.recorded;'
>
>Or
>
>'Select chanid,starttime,title from mythconverg.oldrecorded;'
>
>Do you get anything?
>
>What about:
>'Select chanid,starttime,title from mythconverg.program;'
>
>But I think that only holds a couple of weeks of data.
>
>Hopefully you find a not-to-old backup...
>
>PS: what about the recording rules table?

The system I've just broken is my girlfriend's (oops). The second system
is my own - all nicely backed up, albeit via mysqldump, as part of my
general backups, rather than mythconverg_backup. I did find a few old
backups on the broken system, but the most resent was from may 2012. Not
sure that is better than no backup at all, since she now has a load of
old recordings that won't play in addition to the missing ones.

The idea to use the oldrecording table is interesting. We do often
record the same series, a lot of which she has kept, when I have
deleted.  I'll give that a go.