[mythtv-users] Diskless LTSP Frontend

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 28 18:14:08 UTC 2013

> Two points: I would mention which version of Myth it addresses (.27 is
> current, of course, but wiki pages last lots longer than software :-),
> and it might not hurt to write a one or two-graf lede that explains exactly
> what the problem is that you're trying to solve, for the benefit of people
> who have the problem, but don't have the background to spot your solution
> as the one they want.

Done.

>The use of a terminal server gives technical options :)  Does the HD on
>the client work seamlessly?  Also does lossless sound work through HDMI
>(i.e. Dolby trueHD)?

Yes.  I am using a Zotac ION HD-ID11.  Nvidia 64 bit drivers working.  Sound and video come through the HDMI connection.
HD is flawless.

My initial client build was 32 bit, changed to 64 bit when I tried to get the Nvidia drivers working.

My initial MythTV client was 0.25.  Worked through these instructions and now run 0.27

Previously I ran the mythbuntu-diskless frontend.  That worked well.  Does not look like it is supported now though.  I think it was using LTSP 4.x.  That is very different to LTSP 5.x.  LTSP 5.x uses ssh to connect to the server.  NFS is not used.  (I may also be thinking about previous mythtv versions that required access to local storage.  Current mythtv does not have that requirement)

I was also using minimyth.  But I broke it.  Not sure how.

>Currently I use a centralised server, all my client boxes (include
>mythfronend) pxe boot and use ISCSI.  I will upgrade my environment this
>year as I always do in line with ubunutu 14.04 lts - I am wondering now
>if ltsp is preferable to native iscsi or visa-versa?

I didn't want to mess with NFS or iscsi.  Extra complexity.

If you already have a working solution you may want to stick with it though.

>Thank you for the work you put in Craig.
Glad to provide something back to the mythtv community.

Updated the wiki page with DD-WRT tips as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Craig