[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Dec 13 01:05:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> FWIW, there is no reason anyone in the world should ever set the Video
> Aspect Override setting--except for the never-gonna-exist-in-reality person
> who has 100% of all video sources providing incorrectly-encoded video that
> gives the wrong aspect ratio information, or you've misconfigured X such
> that it's telling MythTV the display is using some incorrect aspect.
>
> Mike

I have to use the Video Aspect Override setting to force my 4:3 videos
recorded on a PVR500 to display correctly on my 4:3 CRT SDTV because it's
passing through an HDMI->Composite converter that is accepting a 720p
signal. (Without the override they are squashed horizontally). I tried
other video mode settings in X (thoroughly) but the aspect was still wrong
so this is what I stuck with. It causes no other issues for us, though, so
it's no problem.

Karl