[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 13 03:16:57 UTC 2013

On 12/12/2013 08:05 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> FWIW, there is no reason anyone in the world should ever set the Video
>> Aspect Override setting--except for the never-gonna-exist-in-reality person
>> who has 100% of all video sources providing incorrectly-encoded video that
>> gives the wrong aspect ratio information, or you've misconfigured X such
>> that it's telling MythTV the display is using some incorrect aspect.
> I have to use the Video Aspect Override setting to force my 4:3 videos
> recorded on a PVR500 to display correctly on my 4:3 CRT SDTV because it's
> passing through an HDMI->Composite converter that is accepting a 720p
> signal. (Without the override they are squashed horizontally). I tried
> other video mode settings in X (thoroughly) but the aspect was still wrong
> so this is what I stuck with. It causes no other issues for us, though, so
> it's no problem.

This sounds like you have your recording profile set up to use 4:3 but
are sending 16:9 to the PVR-500, so you've been using the "ignore the
recording's specified bitrate" to work around the fact that you're
encoding it incorrectly (i.e. 2 wrongs to make a right).  It should also
mean that any properly-encoded widescreen video will display incorrectly
on your system.

Mike