[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun - Comcast shut off clear QAM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 05:14:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything I should say when getting the card to make sure I get the
> correct one?

Other than it should be an M-Card, Unfortunately not, AFAICT.
In *theory" all CableCARDs handed out should be provisioned
for use with OCUR devices (since Comcast does not support
user supplied STBs(*)).  Occasionally the cards are provisioned
wrong before they are shipped out.  This is just wrong provisioning
by Comcast, and it seems to be a recent thing (my first few
CableCARDs were properly provisioned as being associated
with OCUR devices, but a more recent one was mis-provisioned,
and so was its replacement).  I do not believe it is possible for
the CSR to know how it is configured in their upstream system,
so all one can do is take it and try it.

Gary

(*) No legitimate STBs are sold in the US (and imports are not
authorized for use in the US (just because they happen to work
is besides the authorized part)), with a very small exception of a
few STBs that were sold directly to consumers by a few small
cable providers that are no longer in business.  All STBs that
"appear" on sites such as eBay are ones considered stolen
property (most still have their "property of Comcast/Xfinity or
Time Warner, or ...) and are not activated by policy (yes,
there are sometimes ways to get them activated, but as two
way devices, they also advertise their associations and locations).