[mythtv-users] How to transcode to SD within mythtv - system too slow to play HD

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Dec 10 03:12:35 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com>

> >> On 12/9/2013 8:40 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> > But most cable providers still do offer an SD version of each HD
> > channel. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone I know of
> > personally that actually uses an antenna.
>
> Most cable providers off an SD version of the HD channels for use on
> their mini-boxes. If they have a waiver to encrypt content for the
> mini-boxes, those SD channels will not be available for use in MythTV.
> Further, cable companies are not required to leave even the broadcast
> HD channels unencrypted, leaving many MythTV users with exactly nothing
> available over clear QAM.

Yes, but it's likely that John (I think I snipped the attribs right there)
was talking about people -- and there are many Just Like Us -- who are
still tuning *analog* from a cableco.  We, too, get downconverted SD analog
from the center 4:3 of the signal -- which is why many producers still
protect for it.

And yes, those downconverters are often really stupid about incoming
pillarboxed 4:3 pictures in the 16:9 signals they receive, leaving us
with *dual-letterboxed* pictures.

Cheers,
-- jra

Cheers,