[mythtv-users] How to transcode to SD within mythtv - system too slow to play HD

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Dec 10 00:49:25 UTC 2013

On 12/09/13 20:02, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> On 12/9/2013 8:40 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>>
>>> First; why are you recording HD?
>>
>> If you're recording digital, you have no choice in the formatting.
>>

>>> Is that the only version that is available to you?
>>
>> That's how it is in the US.  The major networks are all HD, and do not
>> simulcast an SD version.
>
> But most cable providers still do offer an SD version of each HD
> channel.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone I know of
> personally that actually uses an antenna.

Most cable providers off an SD version of the HD channels for use on
their mini-boxes. If they have a waiver to encrypt content for the
mini-boxes, those SD channels will not be available for use in MythTV.
Further, cable companies are not required to leave even the broadcast HD
channels unencrypted, leaving many MythTV users with exactly nothing
available over clear QAM.