[mythtv-users] 0.25 to 0.26 upgrade issue with MYSQL

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Aug 6 13:53:48 UTC 2013

> All of this is exactly why we hope to eventually embed the
> database--because MythTV users shouldn't have to become database
> administrators just to run a DVR.  MySQL configuration is difficult and
> requires learning a lot of MySQL-specific stuff, especially if your
> distro's packages don't just do the right thing.
>
> BTW, to the OP, are you actually using the Mythbuntu packages on your
> Mint system?  AIUI, you can (and you probably should, because they're
> good, up-to-date packages that do a lot of the configuration for you).
>
> Mike

Side Note:

Mike, I did a similar upgrade yesterday from a .23.5 system to a .25
system (mythbuntu 12.04) and ran into similar issues - I had to first
find out why mysqld wouldn't listen to anyone except localhost (bind
address needed to be set to "::") and I had to allow access to the
mythconverg database (the sql statement: grant all on mythconverg.* to
mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv")

Things that aren't particularly hard, but ones where you had to know
what you were looking for, or what the errors were to make it happen.
It isn't that the work was difficult, but it was a thing you HAD to know
about otherwise it would take hours to troubleshoot a simple issue.

Then my issue for the next two hours was tracking down a firmware file
for my tuner cards (ati hdtv wonder) that are no longer included, and no
perl script to retrieve them in mythbuntu 12.04 that I could find
(luckily the ubunutu forums were back and the file was in a post)...
however, I understand that is a symptom of time marching on (leaving old
hardware behind) and less of the distro.