[mythtv-users] MythTV+Mageia2+PowerViewTV card(s)

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Sep 28 17:18:10 UTC 2012

On 9/28/2012 10:51, Marc Paré wrote:
> I just joined the list a week ago and have been following the different
> threads. I am having problems getting MythTV to recognize my PowerViewTV
> card. The card is well recognized by TVTime.

TVTime only functions with framegrabbers, and framegrabbers are a poor
choice for anything that needs to record. MythTV has to pull data from
audio and video inputs, and encode it in real time. It's not that hard
to pull off, but the configuration is clumsy and error prone. It's
recommended anyone want to do analog use hardware encoder cards, which
do all that for MythTV, and feed MythTV a simple MPEG stream. Last I
checked, you could generally pick up used PVR-150s for $20-25, or
PVR-500s (dual tuners) for about twice that.