[mythtv-users] USB tuner advice for UK DVB-T

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 23 20:03:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 09:02:22 +0100, Nick Morrott
<knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 September 2012 23:49, Roger Siddons <dizygotheca at ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've been very impressed with the dual tuner
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Kworld_UB499-2T (T09 version)
>> that you
>> can pick up from Maplin's for £17 (Code A17HG). It needs a 3.2 kernel
>> (ie.
>> Ub 12.04), you have to install the firmware, it mucks up the backend
>> log and
>> the remote is rubbish.
>> However it's been reliable and has provided perfect recordings for the
>> past
>> 6 weeks. Much better than my Hauppauge PCI; it's now become my primary
>> tuner. Build quality is questionable but for that price I don't need it
>> last forever.
>
> Reading the LinuxTV wiki page (and noting the section about disabling
> the PID filter) it is still not 100% clear to me whether each tuner
> will pass through the whole transport stream and therefore support
> mutlirec in MythTV. Are you able to confirm or deny whether this dual
> tuner is multirec-capable?
>
> Cheers,
> Nick

Yes multi-rec is fine, in that one tuner will record 3 channels from the
same mux simultaneously. I did try that PID filter option but it prevented
the tuners from working at all so I removed it and can live with the 1 Hz
log messages. I haven't investigated further - I don't fully understand
PID filters - so might have another go when I find time. Maybe it needs a
cold start or something.
FWIW I couldn't get a usable firmware following the wiki method either.
But google found one that worked easily enough. Again I don't understand
the difference between Windows/Linux firmwares so haven't commented on the
wiki yet.