[mythtv-users] Installing Mythbuntu (backend) on a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Fri Sep 21 10:15:43 UTC 2012

On 21/09/2012 7:28 PM, Damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have never installed the 'server edition' of anything before, let
> alone owed a headless machine of any kind.
>
> I have a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L on it's way to me and I want
> to put Ubuntu on there and the MythTV backend. It's also effectively
> going to be the NAS for my house and the music server (using Logitec
> Media Server .. Squeezebox Server).
>
> How do you install an OS on a headless system? I know about and use
> VNC, but don't you need an OS first before you can install and use VNC?
>
> Do I need to install the server edition of Ubuntu, or can I install
> the standard version?
> Does the server version of Ubuntu have a GUI or is it all text based?
> If it's all text based, can I install the Mythbuntu backend? I'm sure
> others have done this, so there must be a way.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my next step into geekdom :-)
>
> Thanks
> Damian
Plug a keyboard / monitor in to install initial OS.
With keyboard / monitor still attached, log in, setup your static IP
Address (all servers should have a static IP address).  After you have
got your static ip address working, check that your internet is still
working  and install openssh and mythtv-backend using (on ubuntu).

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install mythtv-backend-master openssh-server
sudo reboot

This will install MythTV backend server, and all its required
dependents, including mysql server.