[mythtv-users] Installing Mythbuntu (backend) on a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L

David Edwards david at more.fool.me.uk
Fri Sep 21 09:58:57 UTC 2012

On 21 September 2012 10:28, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
> How do you install an OS on a headless system?

I would suggest plugging it into a monitor and plug in a
keyboard/mouse to set it up initially. Technically, it is possible to
do an entirely remote install by net booting, but it's easier just to
plug stuff in and avoid wasting time solving unnecessary problems.
Plus you'll need them to do any BIOS changes.

Once you're set up, you can unplug and do most things via SSH.

> Do I need to install the server edition of Ubuntu, or can I install the standard version?
> Does the server version of Ubuntu have a GUI or is it all text based?

It's up to you; the server edition does not have a GUI, it is all text
based.I run the server edition and don't miss the GUI. Some people
might have stronger views on the subject, but personally I don't think
it matters much on a home server.

> If it's all text based, can I install the Mythbuntu backend?

Yes, you can. You can install the Mythbuntu packages on an existing
Ubuntu installation; this is how I set up my server. If you need to
run GUI applications after installing, you can always use X over SSH;
eg "ssh -X username at hostname mythtv-setup" to run mythtv-setup
remotely from another machine running a linux GUI.

David