[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu, only mythtv plays sound, doesn't release sound card?

P Orrifolius porrifolius at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 23:51:14 UTC 2012

Hello.

Until recently I had an Ubuntu 10 mythtv setup (sorry, I forget the
mythtv version).  I could watch content in mythtv with sound coming
out over the SPDIF.  When I wasn't watching content in mythtv I could
get sound out of apps in another X session, or using mpd, etc over the
SPDIF.

I've just upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04.1.  Now mythtv (0.25.2+fixes) is
the only application that can output sound, even when I've shutdown
the mythtv front and back ends I don't get any sound... even when
doing:

root $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

Any tips on how to diagnose and fix this sorry state of affairs?

Thanks very much.