[mythtv-users] mp4 videos smearing at high than 3x FF

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 07:33:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I transcode a few SD shows to mp4 using a handbrake user job in .25.
>>
>> In the last few days I've noticed that if I fast forward at more than
>> 3x, the video starts to "smear". Crystal clear at 3x.
>
> Just a follow-up I played one of the files in VLC at is max of 4x and
> it was clear. In Myth at 5x, the frames clump together like a smudged
> oil painting.
>
> Again, this only happens with mp4 files. I can play an untranscoded
> mpg file at 100x+.

Wow, this problem is just driving me a little nuts. Has anyone here
seen anything like it? Here's the handbrakecli command used to
transcode the recordings:

/usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i $MYTHDIR/$MPGFILE -o $newname -e x264 -q 20.0
-l 480 -a 1,2,3,4 -E faac -B 160 -R Auto -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb
-m -x b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50

Any idea what could cause Mythtv to act like this on these files?