[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Zero Byte Recording but work fine through HDHomeRun GUI

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Sep 11 17:29:29 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-11 12:18 PM, MonkeyPet wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com <mailto:david.whyte at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Some pertinent information:
>     - MythTV is configured to use the HDHomeRun tuners via their device ID.
>     - My BE is also the DHCP server in the network, and it assigns static
>     IPs to the HDHomeRuns.  (My modem also acts as a DHCP server and it is
>     a bit of a race condition as to which DHCP server responds when a DHCP
>     lease is required though investigations have shown that the BE is much
>     more likely to respond to DHCP requests).
>

> Why the heck would you have two DHCP servers on your network?  Solve this problem first.

yea.. that's bad. You absolutely should be able to disable the DHCP server on your modem. Ugh.

> I remember mythtv didn't play nice when the HDHR IP address changes while mythbackend is still running.  My situation was that mythbackend started up prior to the HDHR obtaining a DHCP, so strangeness would happen.  I had to modify the init scripts to wait for the HDHR networking to stabilize before mythbackend starting.  However, this was several months back using 0.24.  I am not sure if any recent changes went into this area.

Which bring up another good point - "infrastructure" should not be on changing IP's. It's ok to use DHCP to configure them on boot, but things like all my manages switches and WAP's and HDHR are on assigned static addresses in DHCP. As long as DHCP is up and running (on a static IP based server) - those devices will always come up on the same address, not an assignment out of a pool.

  -ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
eMail: ben at benjammin.net                      http://www.benjammin.net