[mythtv-users] HDHomeRuns on Separate Subnet

Scott and Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Mon Sep 10 18:46:21 UTC 2012

I just read in this list recently someone mentioning they put their HDHomeRuns on a separate, self contained network with their backend.  I am going to do the same because my backend is also my "file server" and I have had times where recordings are cranking, and it take minutes to open my Quicken file (for example), so I'm looking to alleviate some of this network congestion.   I can't seem to find the post where the person outlined what they do....I recall they set it up to simply use APIPA.

Once I install the second NIC in my backend (tonight, time permitting), I'll give it an address of 169.254.blah.blah and it will be hooked up to a 4 port switch with my HDHomeRuns and nothing else.  I know the HDHomERuns will also get 169.254.blah.blah addresses once DHCP fails.

My big question is, do I have to do anything internally on my backend machine (routing, etc) to allow mythbackend running on eth0 192.168.1.x be able to see and use the data from the HdHomeRuns on eth1 169.254.blah.blah?  I'm running Mythbutnu 12.04.  My cards are NOT setup by ip address, they are setup by HdHomeRun IDs.

Thanks!