[mythtv-users] Good signal strength? was: Re: Alternative to Silicondust HDHR3-6CC-2X3?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 6 20:36:46 UTC 2012

> Will I never have signal strength issues with FiOS?  I'm under the
> impression that unless I do something crazy, I'll always have a strong
> signal on the coax, as it's converted from optical in my garage.
>
> Though now that I've dropped the cable box, there are no analog channels
> to record, and the network comes straight from the ethernet port on the
> ONT, the coax just goes to a three-way splitter for my old HDHR and
> HDPrime, so the old days of splitting it for the TV, VCR, PVR-250, HDHRx2,
> cable modem, and cable box are long gone.

It is unlikely that you would see any signal strength issues with anything
under 8 or even 16 devices, but like anything on COAX, every split will
halve that signal strength (a three way splitter loses about  50% loss on
one leg, and 75% loss on the other two).  The good thing is that your
signal quality is probably pretty good (assuming the amp in the ONT is
clean) because you don't have the long run from the cable head end to your
house, which acts as a huge antenna even though they shield the hell out of
it.