[mythtv-users] What CPU for HLS transcode performance

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Sep 5 17:32:41 UTC 2012

* On Wed Sep 05, 2012 at 01:40:51PM +0100, Andre wrote:
> The desktop PC has an i7-860 clocked at 2.93Ghz and although only two
> cores are used and it looks like it's turbo boosting clock it's still
> not enough to get the job done. I'm considering upgrading the backend

You should see at least 3 threads running normally when doing a HLS
transcode.   The decoding is done in one thread and the code is set to
default to using 2 threads in libx264 for encoding.

If you run something like the following SQL command on your database,
it will bump up the number of threads used for encoding to 4.

INSERT settings (value, data, hostname)
	VALUES ('HTTPLiveStreamThreads', '4', 'YOURBACKENDHOSTNAME');

I'll probably make this a setting as part of some other work I'm currently
doing on the HLS encoder.

--
Chris