[mythtv-users] What CPU for HLS transcode performance

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Sep 5 13:27:18 UTC 2012

On 5 Sep 2012, at 13:47, Matt Emmott wrote:

> Of course it would be better if an 3rd gen ipad would deign to play 1080i h264 directly but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andre
>
> There's an app I use on my iPad 3 called EX Player HD. I use it to stream from SMB shares - When I stream an H.264 1080p Blu-Ray rip, AND that rip is in MP4 format, I have the option to use the native iPad movie player app, which uses hardware decoding and the movie plays without issue. I know this doesn't pertain to Myth directly but I just wanted to mention that the technology is out there.

I have the EX Player Lite version but it seems to play almost everything extremely slowly, well at least it tries I suppose. It seemed to crash so much I wasn't tempted to pay for the full version. There are a few SD and 720p h264 mp4 videos that it plays in the iPad video player but those are the videos that almost every other uPnP player will play too.

The reason I used "deign to play" was I tried a developer friends iOS 5 beta some time ago on an iPad v1 and it happily played just about everything in my library, even had a stab at 1080p60 at 25Mbps! As soon as the 5.0 release came it was back to the usual cannot play this video messages. Oddly I discovered that the iPad will play a wider range of videos when they are imported directly from the camera SD card than it will play through iTunes or uPnP! For example my 720p60 Playsport videos play fine but must be reduced to 720p30 to play from an iTunes import!

As there is an iPad 1, iPad 3 and iPhone 4S lurking here that are wanted to be used for watching some MythTV recordings on occasion I think I'm stuck with buying an expensive backend PC to pander to the less capable or more fussy playback devices.

Andre