[mythtv-users] Displayed recording duration not updated after applying cutlist

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Sep 4 13:06:00 UTC 2012

On 04/09/12 00:30, Richard wrote:
> On 04/09/12 00:48, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> No idea, but in 0.25+, the file size should be updated automatically
>>> when you rebuild the seek table, so I'd recommend removing that part of
>>> your script.
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/firehose/502777#502777
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Good, I'll try that.  I just tried reversing the order of rebuild and
>> clearcutlist, with no effect.  I'll look at using other rebuild options
>> too - but ISTR that there was talk of dropping some of them?  I'll hunt
>> around a bit more and maybe try another theme, too.
>
> It may well be the duration entry in recordedmarkup.  The entry with
> type==33 (MARK_DURATION_MS).
>
> There appear to be two different ways of updating the seek table.  One
> is using mythtranscode, the other is with mythcommflag --rebuild.  I use
> mythcommflag and that seems to update the recordedmarkup entry ok.
>
> I don't know what the difference is otherwise between the two different
> approaches.
>
> Some themes show the duration of each recording in the 'Watch
> Recordings' list (e.g. Steppes) but this is just the difference between
> the start and end times of the recording.  I ended up writing a script
> that would trim the start and end according to the cutlist, update the
> start and end times of the recording accordingly and also filter out any
> data stream from the recording, leaving all audio, video and subtitle
> stream untouched (as I understand it, this should directly using
> 'Recording profiles' but that never seemed to have any effect).
> Depending on the channel and the amount of data streamed, the final file
> is sometimes almost half the original size!
>
> Richard.

Yes, switching from mythtranscode --mpeg2 --rebuild to mythcommflag
--rebuild --file has cured the duration problem as described above.  Now
there seem to be others in resuming playback after entering the editor
if I try to use it for skipping around in the processed file.  Sometimes
it resumes as expected, sometimes it just quits.  I haven't got it
sussed yet.  I tried swapping the order of the clearcutlist and rebuild
calls but don't recollect seeing a difference. mythcommflag --rebuild
complains about a broken pipe, too.  I think that's why I hadn't moved
to it before.  And it seems that neither it nor the editor's
clearcutlist action will consistently set the EOF as a skip point.

This isn't a gripe.  I like 0.25-fixes.

Cheers,

John P