[mythtv-users] Encoder 2 and 4 never seem to be used

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at byu.net
Wed Oct 31 22:33:20 UTC 2012

Brian Phillips wrote:

> Agreed.  Because everything you've said sounds similar to what I have
> done.
> I rarely watch LiveTV, but the one time I did while recording, I
> noticed that LiveTV decided to jump on the same tuner as a program
> that was recording, and I was only allowed to view the channels on
> the recording multiplex.  I had to switch input source to tuner 2
> before I could view other channels.  So I deleted all capture cards
> as you say and added them such that LiveTV will go to "Tuner 2" by
> default.  That seems to work now, but this is not the problem I
> described in the original email.
>
> I described a problem wherein recorded programs are using both
> physical tuners, even if both shows are on the same multiplex.  Seems
> pointless to have a "Max Recordings" setting if Myth decides not to
> pay attention to it.
> This problem results in conflicting recording schedules if I add a
> third program to the recording window.

I belive I may have fixed it.  I like to start recording 2 minutes early on
all my shows because some networks start the show earlier than they say they
will.  I had hacked it by putting the hard 2 minutes at the beginning of all
my recording schedules (about 5 of them).  While I was messing in
mythtv-setup, I decided to enable the option and "do it the right way" by
adding the global buffer there and removing the 2 minutes from each of the
recording schedules.

Mythtv is now scheduling shows on the same multiplex on the same physical
tuner, and I can record more than 2 shows now.  Thanks!