[mythtv-users] Encoder 2 and 4 never seem to be used

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at byu.net
Wed Oct 31 22:10:49 UTC 2012

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> fixed top posting
>
> On 10/31/2012 01:43 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:
>> I think it might be that it only uses virtual tuners if forced to.
>> Try recording three things at once and see if that does it.
>>
>> Or two and watch a live tv session on one of the tuned multiplexes
>>

> It will always use virtual tuners, if configured, before using 2
> physical tuners for recordings off the same multiplex, unless the
> user misconfigures his system--i.e. by using the broken ("alternating
> tuner
> order") interpretation of the workaround/hack I gave for configuring
> older versions of MythTV to use a separate physical tuner for Live
> TV.
> If MythTV is not using the virtual tuners, there's a
> misconfiguration, but since there are no settings for this (just
> configuration of the capture cards), it likely means they were not
> properly set up.

I've done this.  Two on one multiplex and one on another results in a
recording conflict, and something reports it will not be recorded.

> The proper solution with current (0.26+) MythTV is to set the
> schedule and Live TV orders properly (which apply on a
> per-physical-tuner basis--which is much easier than the old hack, and
> more appropriate).
> If you've ever attempted to apply the hack--whether you did it right
> or wrong--I would recommend you Delete all capture cards and
> re-create them and then re-connect inputs (since you're having
> problems with your recording order).  Note that doing so will not
> delete video sources or channels, so you won't have to rescan or
> anything (it's about a 2-min job if you don't know what you're doing
> or about 30s if you do).
>
> Even if you haven't attempted to apply the hack, it sounds like a
> Delete all capture cards followed by (properly) reconfiguring them
> would fix the issue.  (However, the hard part in this situation is
> figuring out the difference between your current configuration and
> proper configuration--i.e. making sure you don't repeat the same
> misconfiguration.)

Agreed.  Because everything you've said sounds similar to what I have done.
I rarely watch LiveTV, but the one time I did while recording, I noticed
that LiveTV decided to jump on the same tuner as a program that was
recording, and I was only allowed to view the channels on the recording
multiplex.  I had to switch input source to tuner 2 before I could view
other channels.  So I deleted all capture cards as you say and added them
such that LiveTV will go to "Tuner 2" by default.  That seems to work now,
but this is not the problem I described in the original email.

I described a problem wherein recorded programs are using both physical
tuners, even if both shows are on the same multiplex.  Seems pointless to
have a "Max Recordings" setting if Myth decides not to pay attention to it.
This problem results in conflicting recording schedules if I add a third
program to the recording window.