[mythtv-users] Move from Nvidia 220 to what card?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 15:57:59 UTC 2012

On 30 Oct 2012, at 16:21, F.B. Parker wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Bert Haskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking about that one plus:
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500250
>

> Given that the only two reviews on that Zotac card are bad, I'd hesitate to order it.
>
> But I am thinking about getting a GT 220. I have been using a GT 430 with VDPAU for over a year. It does a reasonably good job, but there are situations where the video output of my cable-co set-top box/DVR is noticeably better than the output of the GT 430, especially on medium to fast panning scenes, where all pixels are changing rapidly. In those cases the GT 430 can be seen to stutter or hesitate just slightly, while the cable-co DVR is very smooth.
>
> Might a GT 220 improve this?

Yes, I have both a GT220 and an overclocked GT430 and although generally the 430 gives slightly improved image quality it does add a little stutter here and there, I understand that the non overclocked ones are a lot worse. The GT220 is smooth for 1080i50 & 1080i60 with Advanced 2x all of the time.

I found that both cards had some stutter if the audio buffers were not increased.
From my rc.local
echo 3072 > /proc/asound/card0/pcm7p/sub0/prealloc

This came from some postings by JYA and looking through the frontend logs, other cards may have a slightly different path but it appears in the logs if this is a problem.