[mythtv-users] Lost HDMI sound in Media Library->Search Internet videos after move to Mythbuntu 12.04

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 23:53:20 UTC 2012

On 28 Oct 2012, at 00:43, Ian Evans wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> aplay -l:
>>>
>>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
>>>  Subdevices: 1/1
>>>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD
>>> Digital]
>>>  Subdevices: 1/1
>>>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>>  Subdevices: 1/1
>>>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>>  Subdevices: 1/1
>>>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>>  Subdevices: 1/1
>>>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>>  Subdevices: 1/1
>>>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> Try using card 1 device 3
> <snip>
>
> Tried:
>
> pcm.!default {
> type plug
> slave.pcm {
> type hw
> card 1
> device 3
> }
> }
>
> sudo alsa force-reload
>
> speaker-test -D default -c2
>
> Still no dice. Looking back through the JYA thread, I think this is
> what we tried then. That worked from April 2011 until last week and
> 12.04. Googling around I can see no end of 12.04 sound threads. Again,
> bizarre that I can get speaker-test -Dhw:1,9 -c2 to work but those
> settings don't work in asound.conf

When I upgraded to 12.04 I found that the device number I need to use has changed. It used to be card 1 device 3, it's now card 1 device 0.
Thing is I now have so many devices (plughw, hw, hdmi) all referring to the same connector (hdmi) that I'm utterly confused by the whole thing and honestly couldn't tell you what I did to get sound out of anything. What the hedgehog do the ALSA guys do for fun? :)
And here's the weird thing. I know for a fact I created a .asoundrc file that made sound come out of flash videos. But it's not there any more. I didn't delete it. And sound is still coming out of flash videos. 12.04 is powered mainly by ghosts and magic.

Mark