[mythtv-users] VDPAU playback profiles

Marco Quezada mellamanjefe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:22:14 UTC 2012

On Oct 23, 2012 10:38 PM, "Tom Hayward" <esarfl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2012 7:36 PM, "Marco Quezada" <mellamanjefe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recently upgraded my MythTV be/fe  from .24 to .25. The upgrade went
smoothly  and everything seemed to be in place until I tried to play my
shows  recorded in 1080i. The videos played back with big drops in sound.
The playback would start and about every 20 seconds the audio would drop
off while the video played and then it would catch up again. These shows
had need recorded with 0.24 and I had already watched them so I knew the
files were OK. I also upgraded the nVidia drivers to the latest release and
tried some other things but could not get the 1080i files to play properly.
Then I looked at the VDPAU playback profiles when I recalled that I was
using VDPAU HIgh Quality for all recordings. I switched the profile to
VDPAU Normal and now my 1080i programs play really well.

> I'm experiencing the same issue. It is exaggerated when using time
stretch. I think it started in August or September with .25-fixes (or a
driver update around the same time). The system has a GT 520. I dropped it
down to VDPAU Slim and the audio dropouts went away, but then the
deinterlacer looks horrible.

> Tom

Besides upgrading the video drivers to the latest version (350.xx i think)
i also noticed from the logs that myth was using usleep for timing. I was
able to get the RTC working with myth and the playback is very smooth and
in sync with the sound. I do remember now though that the playback in .24
was not as smooth as it is now, I kept having to manually synchronize the
audio with the video in each show. Have you tried looking into this with
your system?

So VDPAU HQ was not completely smooth in .24 but was playable, unlike .25.
The VDPAU Normal profile I use now looks and sounds great, I'm guessing
some underlying library update in the OS caused the change.