[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Tue Oct 16 15:10:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 03:54:51PM +0100, Richard Morton wrote:

> Have any of you used xbmc on a r-pi?

I have.  I bought two of them to play with.

> All the people I know that bought them for this purpose gave up on them not
> because it can't playback the video but because the UI was tortuous to
> navigate. Before asking people to write complex code I suggest a few people
> give it a try with a large database of media and report back....

Before you condemn it, try it.  It is not "tortuous" just different from the
MythTV experience.  Video playback on the 256MB units I have is fine with
the MPEG2 codec.  The UI and player support libcec which is nice too.

My only complaint about the experience is the lack of MythTV frontend features
(expected of course) and live TV from my 0.26 backend.

If the MythTV frontend could be ported to the 512MB Pi I suspect initial
performance would be similar (with the less memory intensive themes) to
what the frontend had when I first started playing with MythTV (AMD 3000+
single core CPU, XVMC, Qt Painter).  This would put it a notch or so above
my Verizon FiOS SD boxes (and possibly my HD box).

Pat