[mythtv-users] Upgraded to Fedora 17, now Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe broken

Scott Knight scott at scottknight.com
Fri Oct 12 12:17:50 UTC 2012

on 10/11/2012 9:11 PM Ronald Frazier carved the following into a picnic
table:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Scott Knight <scott at scottknight.com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Today, I upgraded my backend server from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17. The upgrade
> > seems to have gone smoothly enough except for the fact that my Ceton tuner
> > card is not working.  This thing has been flawless since I installed it late
> > last year.   Now, tonight, I can't get it working to save my life (and my
> > family is about to disown me over missing the Steelers game in 13 minutes).
> > Mythtv just says there was a problem with all of the tuners.
>

> I think your problem is that you are missing the following:
> /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_0
> /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_1
> /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_2
> /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_3
You are correct.  The clue was in the old udev messages that happened
right after rebuilding the driver for a new kernel and also the README
in the driver source.  Now, I have no idea how the device nodes were
getting created nor why they are not now.  Adding symlinks to /dev/ceton
did get it working last night, however.

> Your best bet is to forget about accessing the device handles directly
> (that was the old style method from my original patch) and try using
> the RTP method for configuring. When you are in mythtv-setup. when it
> asks for the card number, instead of "0" enter "RTP". The tuner
> numbers will still be 0-3. The IP address will be whatever gets you
> into the ceton web interface. It used to be 192.168.200.1, but in your
> logs I see 192.168.200.100. However, I think that is just the IP for
> the ctn0 device. I think you'll still use 192.168.200.1. Just use a
> web browser on that system and see what IP brings up the web
> interface.
This is what I will probably do today since it seems like a more
flexible solution.  The web interface is still at the default.  That is
what I use to check out copy flags on the channels.  Thanks for the
help...and the code to make this thing work.  Our TV has never looked
better.

Scott