[mythtv-users] Nvidia ION frontend

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Oct 9 02:21:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:30:10PM -0400, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> > > I thought playing Blu-Ray, at least a random one with a commercial
> > > movie, did not work because the format is locked down.  Even MS Windows
> > > and Mac OS require special software, which seems to cost more than a
> > > blu-ray player.  Are you saying that's not a problem, or are you just
> > > using special Blu-rays, like ones you burned yourself?
> >
> >     Rip it and forget about the physical media and it's encryption.
> >
> >     With 4 or 5 frontends, this is really the most sensible thing to do
> > anyways as it beats carting some disk around the house.

[deletia]

> Sorry for the delay in my response.  I don't get much past my primary inbox
> on some weekends.  I use MakeMKV to archive all my blu-rays.  Yes,
> uncompressed.  I have a 2TB drive for this reason.  I legitimately own
> every Blu-ray on my backend.  Physical media was a real problem in my
> household because the little ones would destroy at least one disc a month.
>  I would find them face down under the sofa or in a toy box.  I tried
> hiding the discs, but somehow they always got their hands on them.  Now we
> can watch any disc from any TV in the house!  I own one Blu-ray player and
> never use it.
>
> The only disc I have had a problem with so far is Avatar.  Everything works
> great except for a small hesitation when the forced subtitles appear on
> screen.

   Just finished the Avengers BD tonight. The basic bookmark feature is a very
handy feature and one reason I was originally drawn to MythTV. I wanted a
player that would actually deliver on it's promised features even if I had to
"get out and push". Got burned by a console player that promised more than it
delivered.

    The whole "media free" and "multi room" thing is an added bonus.