[mythtv-users] Nvidia ION frontend

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 00:30:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:16:17PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 12:25 -0400, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> > > I currently have 5 Nvidia ION frontends.  All playing HD and Blu-rays
> > > very well.  I use 8GB thumb drives or SD cards in all of them.  No
> > > problems at all.  I am not sure if bootup would be quicker with an
> > > SSD, but the expense was not justified for me.  I have long wanted to
> > > try standby mode, but never got around to it.  My latest frontends
> > > have been Zotac ZBox ID11 snagged on eBay for $125 each with $10 for
> > > an 8GB SD card.
> > >
> > > -Tom
> > I thought playing Blu-Ray, at least a random one with a commercial
> > movie, did not work because the format is locked down.  Even MS Windows
> > and Mac OS require special software, which seems to cost more than a
> > blu-ray player.  Are you saying that's not a problem, or are you just
> > using special Blu-rays, like ones you burned yourself?
>
>     Rip it and forget about the physical media and it's encryption.
>
>     With 4 or 5 frontends, this is really the most sensible thing to do
> anyways as it beats carting some disk around the house.

Sorry for the delay in my response.  I don't get much past my primary inbox
on some weekends.  I use MakeMKV to archive all my blu-rays.  Yes,
uncompressed.  I have a 2TB drive for this reason.  I legitimately own
every Blu-ray on my backend.  Physical media was a real problem in my
household because the little ones would destroy at least one disc a month.
 I would find them face down under the sofa or in a toy box.  I tried
hiding the discs, but somehow they always got their hands on them.  Now we
can watch any disc from any TV in the house!  I own one Blu-ray player and
never use it.

The only disc I have had a problem with so far is Avatar.  Everything works
great except for a small hesitation when the forced subtitles appear on
screen.

-Tom