[mythtv-users] Mythbackend successfully running on virtualbox (win7 (64bit) host; mythbuntu 12.04.1 (64bit) guest)

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 05:46:08 UTC 2012

On 8/10/12 4:37 PM, Robert Havlin wrote:
> Just an FYI, it required multiple installation attempts (but that is
> easy with virtualbox) but I eventually got it working with the following:

<snip>
> A few other things - mounting my old ext3 and ext4 drives worked and
> could be mounted by the guest, but for some reason the rate was slow
> (3-4 MBps), so I migrated all of it to "Shared folders" which actually
> reside in the host but are mounted by the guest.
> Finally, make sure to set the guest network card to "bridged adapter"
> so that it gets its own ip address, mac, etc. and everything passes
> transparently to the guest.

Have you noticed any slowdown in the frontends on things like starting
playback, skipping back/forward etc? Are your frontends all remote, or
is this a combined frontend/backend machine?

I've got a combined system as main tv and I've noticed big differences
in frontend responsiveness when I make changes to disk setup. In
particular, I still remember the massive performance boost I got when I
got rid of LVM.

I very much like the idea of safe update testing, I'm always pretty wary
when doing updates as my backup system isn't very pleasant to reimage from.

Andrew