[mythtv-users] Partially OT: Seeing the output of a user job

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Oct 5 03:26:44 UTC 2012

On 10/4/2012 20:50, Ian Evans wrote:
> Just asked this on serverfault and was told it wasn't possible by one
> guy, but I'm sure I've done this before and have just forgotten the
> command.
>
> I have a user job running that's been going for way too many hours.
> It's currently stuck on the handbrake part and I'm sure I've run a
> unix command before that let me see the output of a background
> process.
>
> The guy on serverfault suggested tail, but no output is being sent to
> a file. I just want to see what it's up to. I'm pretty sure the
> command allowed you to see what the processes screen output would be
> if it was in the foreground.

You are thinking of the command 'fg'. This command only exists within
the context of your shell application, likely 'bash'. When you run an
application within a shell, all of the output is buffered by the shell.
If you start something and then hit Ctrl-Z, you suspend the application,
and it can then be flushed to the background using 'bg'. You can call an
application backgrounded in this manner, or by a '&', back to the
foreground by using 'fg'.