[mythtv-users] A Plea to the Programmers

Lee Maisel maisel at lobo.net
Tue Oct 2 20:50:24 UTC 2012

Glenn Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com
> <mailto:nick.rout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Looking into lcdproc, it appears that (unsurprisingly) LCDd joins
>     to two things:
>
>     1. A client, which feeds info to be displayed;
>     2. A driver, which sends the info to a particular piece of hardware.
>
>     I have never used an LCD display with mythtv, and I cannot seem to get
>     the curses driver to work, so I am a bit lost.
>
>     But the key to this must be a driver that takes the output of LCDd and
>     feeds it to festival.
>
>     Or do we simply need to make /dev/lcd0 a link to some named pipe
>     to festival?
>
>     Buggered if I know.
>

> mythdroid (a mythtv-on-android app) uses a server-side perl script
> called MDD that "...intercepts information that is sent to the LCD and
> makes it available to MythDroid. Note that you don't need an LCD for
> this to work."  Looks like that might be a good start.
> http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/wiki/MDD

I think this is the right approach, as from what I understand, the LCD
function sends the important information to an LCD screen (or whatever
output we want with a little work) so that someone can control the
system without a screen.   In her case, if it just reads aloud whatever
is highlighted or selected, (menu item, listing title, etc) that would
be sufficient.  She just needs it to speak those items in order to
navigate or select a channel or recording.

Thanks!!!

Lee