[mythtv-users] A Plea to the Programmers

Glenn Harris gharris at eklo.com
Tue Oct 2 19:13:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking into lcdproc, it appears that (unsurprisingly) LCDd joins to two
> things:
>
> 1. A client, which feeds info to be displayed;
> 2. A driver, which sends the info to a particular piece of hardware.
>
> I have never used an LCD display with mythtv, and I cannot seem to get
> the curses driver to work, so I am a bit lost.
>
> But the key to this must be a driver that takes the output of LCDd and
> feeds it to festival.
>
> Or do we simply need to make /dev/lcd0 a link to some named pipe to
> festival?
>
> Buggered if I know.

mythdroid (a mythtv-on-android app) uses a server-side perl script called
MDD that "...intercepts information that is sent to the LCD and makes it
available to MythDroid. Note that you don't need an LCD for this to work."
 Looks like that might be a good start.
http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/wiki/MDD