[mythtv-users] Powerline ethernet

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 25 16:05:38 UTC 2012

Daniel Frey <dmfrey at gmail.com> wrote on Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:17:34AM -0500:
> On Nov 25, 2012 6:16 AM, "Igor Cicimov" <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>

> >> Bits/Bytes?
> >>

> > Bits, measured by iperf
> >
> > $  iperf -t 60 -f m -c mythtv -i 1
> >

> Definitely stay away from the slower 80mb/store models. Had them at one
> point and could barely watch SD content.
>
> The 200 or 500 are the way to go.  Also, some kits have a 4 port switch in
> them as well so could connect the single end to your router and 4 port
> switch to the myth fe, tv, bluray, etc. with only one endpoint. I know
> netgear makes ones with the 4 port switch in them, probably other vendors
> as well.

(Fixed top posting. See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette#Bottom_post)

My advice is to try them, but be sure to buy them from a place with a
good return policy. There are so many variables involved that any
single person's results are unlikely to be directly applicable to your
own situation.

Just to throw my anecdote onto the pile, I tried a 200 model in a new
house about a year ago, and I got about 6 Mb/s. Plus they caused my
computer speakers, which were plugged into a nearby outlet, to buzz
loudly.