[mythtv-users] Live TV Program Change Over

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:14:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 27/03/12 14:40, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Scott and Nicole Harris<
>> snharris99 at live.com>  wrote:

>>>  And I often (Most of the time) see this on .23 as well. Using an HDHR.
>>>>

>>> Yeah, I've had it all the way back to around 0.23 as well.  I'm also
>>> using
>>> an HDHR, but I'm not sure that it's the tuner as much as it's the way
>>> Myth
>>> handles Live TV as a string of individual recordings, requiring some
>>> intensive work to stop and start each recording at each program break.  I
>>> don't recall when Myth went from the ring buffer method of Live TV to the
>>> string of recordings method (not that I am suggesting in any way shape or
>>> form that Myth should go back), but it was around that time, which would
>>> be
>>> why we started seeing it back then.
>>>

>> I have been experiencing this behavior since I upgraded to .24.  Mind you,
>> prior to .24 I was only using the DVR functionality and not LiveTV.
>>
>>  I thought that changing files on the half-hour was the original LiveTV
> behaviour, and that this was replaced in a later version by a method that
> changed files at the scheduled end of each program?
>
> This would make sense, since once you tune to a channel myth knows which
> program is running, and knows exactly when it is going to end.
>
> Are you sure this behaviour is program related? Does it happen on the hour
> and half-hour, or does it happen 30 mins after you switched to LiveTV and
> every 30 mins after? The latter is what I would expect if it is a LiveTV
> phenomenon.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I am fairly confident that this happens on program boundaries which quite
often happens to be on 30 or 60 minute boundaries.  I see this behavior
most often with 30 minute episodes of kid shows which have more chances to
fail in a given time period, and me and wife tend to not watch LiveTV.
 This originally tricked me into thinking it was a 30 minute buffer issue.

-Tom