[mythtv-users] alternative DVR approach

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 08:01:20 UTC 2012

On 27 Mar 2012, at 03:17, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> On 27 March 2012 10:28, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 26 March 2012 23:54, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/emerging-tech/2012/03/26/seven-day-wonder-inside-the-promise-tv-40154879/5/#top
> >
> > More detailed info at
> > http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/emerging-tech/2012/03/25/four-strong-team-builds-digital-tv-revolution-40154872/
> >
> > If it's a revolution I'll eat my MythTV user guide :)
>
> I agree, but it is certainly a different approach.
>

> > *Only* 1000 GBP for the seven day version. The 2000 GBP "pro" version
> > has a search feature. No internet connectivity. Is this a DVR for
> > Sunday supplement readers who respond to the BOSE ads?
> >

> Out of inerest what would it cost to make a computer with 6 digital
> tuners and 7TB recording space, assuming you were going to do the same
> thing with mythtv and standard hardware? GBP1000 doesn't seem like a
> huge amount (although it probably still buys 2000 of my currency).
>

> > It's products like this that make you realise how amazing MythTV is -
> > thanks to all past, present and future contributors to the project.
>
> Indeed. Actually there is a chap on this list who records 24/7 - can't
> recall his name, he was trying to track down mem leak which was
> apparent to him, presumably becasue of his intensive usage :)
>

> I think your refering to Udo?
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/473282?#473282

A friend of mine (not on this list) does similar but "only" 6pm to midnight and gets by with 5TB, he has one tuner per mux but doesn't record all of the channels, who needs BBC1 when you have BBC1 HD and some channels are really not worth the disk space!

There were quite a few tweaks he made to get everything working and I did refer him to some of Udo's posts along the way. The biggest wrinkle I remember was splitting the tuners so each tuner had it's own video source with only one mux's channels in it, without that the scheduler ran amok with the cpu and frequently recordings failed due to two tuners ending up on the same mux.

I've often wondered about trying the same myself when analog switch off leaves me with a more sensible mix of channels so my mostly unused dual DVBT card could record a few days cache of SDTV.

If anyone is interested to know the wrinkles I'll try to get him to write up something in the wiki or here.

Andre