[mythtv-users] Finding a suitable device for a Harmony remote

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:52:02 UTC 2012

> One thing I am struggling with though, is setting up some extra buttons, for example, I
> have allocated some buttons to "Alt+2" and other number keys, which I want to link to
> aspect ratio change etc.
>
> When running irw, I get output for all keys, apart from the ones I have changed, it
> doesn't just seem to be the ones that are 2 key presses either.  I have mapped the
> "Delete" command to a button, but get nothing for that either.  So it appears to just be
> "non-standard keys".  I do see the receiver flashing when I press these keys.  The
> exception to this is "RecTV", "Videos", "Music" and "Pictures", which get picked up OK.
>
> I went on to try irrecord, but could not get that working with my receiver, it errors
> out at first with:
>
> "irrecord: could not get file information for /dev/lirc"
>
> So I instead ran with the "-d" to specify a device, "/devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input7"
> failed and I got the same error message.  But "/var/run/lirc/lircd" did allow irrecord
> to continue until it was waiting for key presses, but pressing any remote keys and
> irrecord bails out with:
>
> irrecord: error reading from /var/run/lirc/lircd
> irrecord: No such file or directory
> irrecord: no data for 10 secs, aborting
> irrecord: gap not found, can't continue
>
> If anyone has tried the same Harmony device setup and can shed any light, would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin

to record, irrecord needs direct access to the IR hardware. First make sure lircd is not
running.
next, you need to specify your hardware device, By your device statement, it looks like
you are using devinput.
To record from devinput, you need to specify it as a driver as well.

irrecord -d /devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input7 -H devinput remote.conf

if you have a partial lircd.conf that works, you can bypass the timing recording, and use
the exisitng as a template.
copy lircd.conf from /etc/lirc to a temporary location as "remote", then run

irrecord -d /devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input7 -H devinput remote

this will read the file remote, copying the IR timing information, and just record new
buttons. It will output remote.conf with only the buttons you have learned. You will need
to merge the new key commands into the old lircd.conf
you might also want to use the irrecord option --disable-namespace (before the remote.conf
file), as this will allow you to use any name for your buttons, instead of the
standardized list

- Richard