[mythtv-users] CBS did it again: how to stich together from different recordings

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Mar 19 14:10:22 UTC 2012

On 12-03-19 08:26 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

To reply to my own posting...

> Does anyone have a good recipe for stitching these together, skipping
> the first 43 minutes of program A and stopping after the first 17
> minutes of program B?

For MEPG2 at least, with a bit of command-line and then FE editing,
it's actually quite easy.

One first has to determine the two files in the storage group(s)
where the two back to back recordings are.  One then concatenates
the second recording to the first:

[ filenames edited to reflect the "A" and "B" in the SOW above ]

# cat /storage1/B.mpg >> /storage1/A.mpg
# mythcommflag --rebuild --file /storage1/A.mpg

Then simply find the program in the FE and edit it's cut list as
you would typically do to manually remove commercials, only now you
are editing off the first 43 minutes and the last 17.

Now (optionally even -- the cutlist will be honoured when played back
in the FE even if you don't) simply apply a lossless transcode to the
program.

Once all done, one can continue to do this for subsequent programs and
if one has done as I will be doing from now on and that's to record the
program(s) that are in the hour after everything else you want to record
on CBS on a Sunday evening, one can delete that final "throw-away" hour
program(s) one has in one's list of recordings.

If you do/have not recorded that hour of throwaway, you will have lost
the last program you recorded on CBS on Sunday night and can just delete
it from your program list (optionally, whilst cursing CBS).

b.